It is difficult to say when the valley Żylica the first settlers arrived. It is known, however, that Szczyrk has become an international settlement, because the next Polish fugitives and convicts, about the fifteenth century. Nomads wandered here from the Balkans, the Vlachs. When we add a little noble blood of the German and Austrian soldier from Hungary and the Czech and Slovak next door, Szczyrk is revealed as the nucleus of an integrated Europe. The first census was made in favor of church taxes in 1630., On the initiative of Fr. Bartholomew Kampkowicza. I praise him for it, because now many people can boast of Szczyrk names until the XVII century .: Kruczek, Donat (today: Dunat), Wieczorek arrived.
As the Szczyrkowianie were quiet and God-fearing people, so they farmed the land, deforestation, shepherding, herding and hunting. Also, naming the surrounding mountains. This is how Zapalenica (formerly Palenica) from the ashes fertilize the land of burnt trees, or Klimczok (formerly Goryczna Skalka), from the well-known names in the seventeenth century. Warlord from Linden (took from the rich and gave to himself). Also remember the name Skrzyczne because it was once the lake, where the loud screeching frog. Lake disappeared, and the name has remained (formerly Skrzecznia or Skrzeczna). Unprecedented way elsewhere, the settlers were given land. This was the so-called "Zarębek," the equivalent of "Lana". The difference, however, is that the manager stood in the valley and "Zarębek" multiply both sides of the hills, and the future highlander received the land for better and worse sunny hillside. If someone knew then that 300 years cepry invent skiing, this is the way to fortune highland occupied today the first places on the lists of the financial magazines and tax offices. In 1808. Szczyrk lived only 172 zarębników!
With the development of the population, the settlement was moving further towards the mountains, and the highlanders developed other forms of economy. Increased timber production and developed herding. Already in the XVIII century. Szczyrk economically tied with Upper Silesia, providing wood and other products for the local steel industry. Also produced from sheep's fleece cloth (and it was this famous "pure new wool"). The development of tourism began after the First World War. This was influenced by numerous running field hospitals, where the wounds of war to heal Austrian soldiers.
Until World War II was built nearly 10 B and began the modernization of the main road, which continues today, due to the severe weather conditions prevailing in the Beskidy Mountains.
In 1924. founded the first shelter for Skrzyczne. In 1928. Salmopol, which was more than 125 years by the independent village was absorbed into expansively developing Szczyrk. And they lived there mostly Protestants, so the town became a symbol of ecumenical coexistence of two Christian religions.